As anyone reading our blogs will have realised by now, we love to travel, and the moment we lock the front door – the holiday begins!
We appreciate not everyone feels the same, and if you are one of many who love going on holiday, but hate the travelling part, spending 5 hours in transit at an unfamiliar airport is probably not your idea of fun.
Airports differ greatly around the world, but they all have one thing in common – and that is those uncomfortable rows of seats, specifically designed to prevent you from lying down! A cruel invention indeed, no matter how hard you try to position yourself, that armrest will always end up digging into your back, head, or ribs, so if you cannot fall asleep sitting up – here are our top tips for entertaining yourself at the airport:
- Hit the Lounge – Most airports now have a lounge that you can pay to use, and while it may seem like an unnecessary expense, those 5 hours will fly by (pardon the pun), if you have free internet access, free magazines, an all you can eat buffet, and of course – a free bar!
- Hit the Shops – Shopping is a great way to waste a couple of hours, and if you find yourself in Amsterdam Schipol or Munich airport, you will be able to shop till you drop! Spending money again – I know, but when the alternative is that row of seats, it might be time to indulge.
- Visit the Cinema – Many airports now have cinemas, and if you watch the latest blockbuster, 2 hours will be gone before you know it.
- Surf the Internet – Unfortunately, many airports still charge for WIFI access, but if you find yourself in Hong Kong, you can take advantage of free internet access, and spend the hours chatting to your friends on Facebook or researching your holiday destination.
- Head out into the local city – If your ticket allows for it, and you have a lengthy transit time, why not head out of the airport and visit the local city. We did this in Madrid (11-hour transit), and had a fun afternoon eating tapas.
- Hit the Bar – Sensibly! – The airport bar can be a great place to watch sporting events and meet new people, but just remember if you look a little “worse for wear”, you may be refused boarding! So have just one (or two!).
- Have a Haircut – Many airports now have beauty salons where you can cut your hair, have a massage, or get a manicure. It might not take up 5 hours, but it will certainly pass an hour.
- Hit the Duty Free – Again, this isn’t going to keep you entertained for 5 hours, but by the time you have sniffed every perfume, and tried on all the sunglasses, it will be time to board your next flight.
- Eat – Notorious for being overpriced, airport restaurants are not the best place to find a gourmet meal, but if you are both bored and peckish, it is a good place to spend an hour or two.
- Buy a Book – If all else fails, buy a new book from the bookstore, make yourself ‘uncomfortable’ on the row of seats, and immerse yourself in the storyline!
Travelling the world should be fun, and if you have any ‘time wasting’ tips for the airport, we would love to hear from you!