Well, in case you haven’t noticed yet, today is the twelfth day of the twelfth month of the twelfth year, and whether you are interested in these kinds of repetitive dates or not, you might as well make a note of this one, as it’s the last one you are ever going to see, unless you intend to live until 01/01/2101, that is!
For many, dates like these represent luck and romance (apparently, there are mass weddings taking place in Hong Kong and Singapore today!), and for others, specifically Doomsday believers, today’s date represents the end-of-the-world (again!), but if you, like me, just see today as another ordinary Wednesday, here a few other interesting facts and figures I found about 12/12/12.
- In response to the Doomsdayer’s preparations for the end of the world, the Astronomical Society of the Pacific has declared today, 12/12/12, Anti-Doomsday Day!
- It’s a bit late for this now, but if you were paying attention to today’s date at midday, you could have enjoyed a “sixer” – 12/12/12 @ 12:12:12 (damn, missed that one, how will I ever sleep!)
- If the run up to Christmas has left you feeling a little stressed, you should know that in Chinese numerology, 12 is the number that brings harmony to the yin and yang. So chill…
- When you think about it, twelve has been a significant number since its creation… 12 months in the year, 12 astrological signs, 12 hours of day and night, 12 eggs to the dozen… I mean, this is serious stuff!
- An interpretation of the Ancient Mayan calendar indicates that 12/12/12 is the “end of times as we know it, and the beginning of a new cycle of evolution for planet earth, humanity and the cosmos”, so it might be worth getting your telescope out tonight!
- An American boy from Birmingham Alabama, who was born on December 12, 2000 at 12 minutes after 12, will celebrate his twelfth birthday on 12/12/12 at 12:12 – Happy Birthday Kiam Moriya!
- If you are lucky enough to live in New York, head down to Madison Square Garden’s tonight, and look out for your favourite popstar. A concert for Hurricane Sandy Relief will start at 7.30pm, and the line-up includes the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney and Billy Joel – and their combined ages must be at least 12 (hundred!).
- Finally, if you completely missed the 12/12/12 phenomenon of today, don’t worry, tomorrow sees the start of the twelve days of Christmas!