As promised in my last post about the Cheapest Cities in the World to visit in 2014, here is the follow-up on the most Expensive Cities in the World (according to TripAdvisor), which sadly see’s our own capital of London taking the number one spot!
After a weekend in Florence, I would have to say, I’m not sure London deserves the title of “The most expensive destination in the world for a city break” in 2014, but at £312 for a one-night stay including two cocktails, dinner for two with wine and two short taxi rides, it is definitely not for those on a tight budget!
So here you have it, the 10 Most Expensive Cities in the World for a 2014 City Break are…
1. London, England: One night in a four star hotel, two cocktails, dinner for two with wine, and 2 taxi rides – £311.80…shocking! My tip, walk to the restaurant and have four cocktails and an extra bottle of wine with dinner!
2. Paris, France: It is supposed to be one of the most romantic cities in the world, so I guess it is no surprise that Paris claimed the number two spot. £305.79 is what you can expect to pay for a night here.
3. New York, USA: You need big bucks for a night in the Big Apple at £300.58 for the package above… but hey, it’s NEW YORK, NEW YORK!
4. Stockholm, Sweden: You can’t beat a good old Smorgasbord, but at £286.67 for a night in Svenska, it’s a bit steep!
5. Oslo, Norway: Just next door, Norway is the fifth most expensive city in the word for a 2014 break – I’m thinking the cocktails and wine have pushed up the price here to £273.32.
6. Zurich, Switzerland: Well, it’s Switzerland – what you do you expect! A night out here will cost you £272.02… and if you speed getting to your hotel, you can double that!
7. Copenhagen, Denmark: Making up the Scandinavian trio – Denmark is the seventh most expensive city in the world, with the above package costing £252.90.
8. Helsinki, Finland: There is definitely a trend here…! I would have to recommend you head south rather than north, as a night in Helsinki with dinner, taxis and cocktails will set you back £227.73.
9. Toronto, Canada: I’m quite surprised about this one, but apparently a night out in Toronto costs a whopping £225.60!
10. Sydney, Australia: This one I’m not so surprised about! We found Sydney extremely expensive with Fish & Chips at Doyle’s setting you back around £35 per person. For a night in the city with dinner and drinks, you should calculate £224.81.
Of course, you can visit all of these cities for much less…you just need to know where to look if you are heading to one of the world’s most expensive cities in 2014!