Having just returned from Florence, Italy, where a cup of tea costs €6.00, a glass of wine costs €6.50 (yes, that’s a glass – not a bottle!), and an ice-cream or ‘gelato’ starts at €4.00 a scoop, I was happy to come across TripAdvisors latest TripIndex survey, which highlights the Cheapest Cities in the World for a 2014 holiday!
Based on the “Typical costs for two cocktails, a two-course dinner paired with a bottle of wine, round-trip taxi transportation, and a one night stay in a 4-star hotel during the summer travel months from June to August“, this interesting report revealed that we need to travel further afield to get more for our money…
The 10 Cheapest Cities in the World for a City Break in 2014 are:
1. Hanoi, Vietnam: Where you will get all of the above for a mere £91.70
2. Jakarta, Indonesia: For just a few pounds more, you can enjoy cocktails, dinner, wine, taxi’s and a night in Jakarta for just £95.01
3. Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt: A destination that has been struggling over the past 12-months due to terrorist threats, Egypt is now cheaper than ever before at £95.66 for an evening of fun.
4. Bangkok, Thailand: The ‘Land of Smiles’ has always been relatively cheap for holidaymakers, and in 2014, the package above will cost you just £97.23.
5. Sofia, Bulgaria: While it’s not my favourite city in the world, Sofia in Bulgaria does offer value for money at £112.49.
6. Cape Town, South Africa: Cape Town, on the other hand, IS one of my favourite cities in the world, and it just goes to show how far your £/€/$ will go in the ‘Mother City’, with Accommodation, Dinner, Wine, Cocktails, and return Taxi’s coming in at just £114.20!
7. Mumbai, India: If you dream of visiting India, now is the time to head to Mumbai, where all of the above will cost you just £114.36.
8. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: Another favourite city of mine, KL is a fantastic city to visit, and when you consider that you get the whole package for just £117.30 – it’s a bargain for travellers on a budget!
9. Prague, Czech Republic: A beautiful and historic city in central Europe, Prague offers endless sightseeing opportunities, great food, and some of the best beers in the world. A hotel-inclusive night out here will cost you just £118.53.
10. Budapest, Hungary: One of the largest cities in the European Union, Budapest is jam-packed full of things to see and do! So why not celebrate your birthday, wedding anniversary or stag/hen night in this magnificent city – it will only set you back £120.09!
So there you have it, there are some bargain holidays and city breaks to be had this summer/autumn, you just need to shop around!
Tomorrow I’ll let you know the most expensive cities in the world – just in case you fancy treating yourself!