We can be in no doubt that the way we travel has changed over the past 30 years. High street travel agents have been replaced by modern online travel organisers, short-haul package holidays have been replaced with long-haul adventures, and according to new research by Trainline, we no longer wish to be considered as ‘tourists’ when we travel overseas, preferring the more discerning title of ‘travellers’.
In its recent survey, Europe’s #1 train ticket retailer asked 2,000 people about their holiday habits, and the results were nothing short of inspiring! Not only does the average Briton take 3 holidays per year in the UK and overseas, they travel a staggering 15,474 miles to get to their preferred destination, and when they arrive at their chosen holiday hotspot, they are looking for much more than sun, sea and bucket loads of sangria.
The Modern British Traveller (MBT) is refined, cultured, and more interested in authentic experiences than all-inclusive packages when it comes to their annual trip overseas, with 57 percent preferring sight-seeing to partying, and 36 percent believing that the journey is just as important as the destination.
In a bid to be more savvy with their travel budget, MBT’s spend an average of 10 days on holiday, rather than the traditional 2 weeks, with 52 percent of British travellers preferring frequent city breaks to longer beach holidays. 38 percent admit that they enjoy short-haul breaks just as much as their long-haul trips, and 35 percent chose their destination based on food and culture.
Are you a Modern British Traveller in the making? Well, here are 10 signs that you are most definitely an MBT…
- You have your own PADI license
- You have taken a wine-tasting holiday
- You make new friends wherever you go
- Your friends come to you for travel tips
- You are an avid fan of experiential travel
- You learn a few words of the local language before you arrive
- You have visited more than 21 different countries
- You choose environmentally friendly travel options whenever available
- You have a favourite restaurant in more than 5 European cities
- You are always on the lookout for the perfect photo
- You only choose hotels with free WIFI